Doug Crompton on 19 Dec 2005 02:01:48 -0000

Re: Map of boot procedure

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Tom Diehl wrote:

> For at least FC3 forward (2.6 kernels??) the file is /etc/modprobe.conf. IIRC
> modules.conf was for the 2.2/2.4 kernels.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom

Yes that is correct but this is a system generated file and the preferred
place (in SUSE) to make  changes is  /etc/modprobe.conf.local
There is also a /etc/modprobe.d directory that is referenced in
modprobe.conf

I went through a few interations of trying to make my sound and HDTV
work with these files and had no luck. That is when I put the load in
/etc/sysconfig/kernel.  Now that I have some more input I may go back to
trying this again.

My understanding though of the modprobe files was that they modified
system generated loads - e.g. speciied aliases and install scripts to
modify the install of a module but only if it were called from somewhere
else. How does one force a load in modprobe.conf?

Doug