Doug Crompton on 13 May 2006 14:49:14 -0000

Re: May 15th Meeting Announcement

Tom,

 I am using the 6.8 release, which is the latest and just out a month or
so, based on R63. It would not change anything about the operation of
the NSLU2 from what you have now except gain you a lot more
functionallity. Please read all the do's/dont's and recommendations before
you do it. The unslug site
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage is the place to start.
You also have the option of openslug or debianslug but I think best to
start with one as unslung. Also I subscribe to both the general and linux
NSLU2 yahoo groups where you can ask and find out lots of info.

Currently I run just one disk, 250 GB, ext3 natively formatted and unslung
on the recommended port 2. Port 1 is the more universal port where you can
hang hubs, multiple format drives, flash, etc.

I have an itunes music server setup and I have a bunch of packages
installed including perl, rsync, ntp, openssl, openvpn, proftp, java, the
bash shell, etc. If you are a command line Linux person, which is really
what I prefer, then you will be right at home on a telnet session to the
NSLU2. It's directory structure is slightly different but so similiar that
you would be comfortable with it.

I just bought two more so I am sure in time I will have others up and
running doing other things. I would like to do some ham radio interfacing
at some point.

Doug