Elizabeth Bevilacqua on 12 Feb 2008 09:08:29 -0800

Re: ssh

On 2/12/08, david long <divadgnol67@gmail.com> wrote:
> Question to the young lady to my left. Sorry, I think your name is Liz. can
> you give me some instructions on how to ssh into my machine?

Yep!

What you want to do is install the ssh server onto the machine you
want to ssh into, if it's not already installed. A lot of distros just
call the package "ssh" or "ssh-server" or "sshd" This is a daemon that
runs on your machine all the time and accepts incoming connections on
port 22.

Once the ssh server is running (look in your process list), you can
connect to it simply with: "ssh username@hostname (or IP)" - this will
connect you to the default ssh port 22 and give you your normal user
bash prompt. Naturally you'll need the appropriate ports open (I think
most normal distros open up 22 when you start running sshd
automatically), firewall(s) allow it, and you have direct access to
the hostname/IP you're referencing in your ssh command.

- Lyz

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com