BerkeleyLUG meetup Sunday 2016-07-24 + Ubunews + Linux Training Freebie

Hi everyone,

A brief and relatively early reminder here that the second BerkeleyLUG meetup of the month is this Sunday, July 24th, 2016, from 12Noon to 3:00pm PDT at Bobby G's Pizzeria www.bobbygspizzeria.com/. The BerkeleyLUG meetup notice of the same is also at www.berkeleylug.com/?page_id=67
See you all there!

Plus and minus goings-on within the last week specifically for those of you involved to any significant degree in the Ubuntu ecosystem.
On the positive side, our local Bay Area's own Elizabeth KJ posted a follow-thru on her own expert BALUG presentation last night on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus"[1].  I'd easily guess Elizbeth KJ and/or other members of our local Ubuntu ecosystem who sometimes post here will soon post at least one reminder of the upcoming 16.04 Release Party happening next week in SF.

On the negative side, in case anybody still hasn't heard, the Ubuntu Forum servers[2] that some of you might have been using for support, advice, and feedback got hacked and no one knew about the exploit until the hacker spoke up[3]. Rick M has courteously provided an illuminating and somewhat more technical explanation of this most recent Ubuntu exploit in his SF-LUG post of last night[4]. IMHO, it is well worth reviewing Rick M's post; the last two paragraphs especially(!)

The Linux Training Freebie is that the Linux Foundation is offering to 'Celebrate SysAdmin Day With Free, Weekly Linux Tutorials'[5].
As quoted in the link:
And so, to celebrate System Administrator Appreciation Day and help satisfy that burn to learn, The Linux Foundation is offering more free resources for advancing your sysadmin career.

We'll deliver one free e-book tutorial to your inbox each week for 22 weeks from Linux Foundation Training. Everyone who signs up for the series before then end of July will also be entered into a drawing to win one of 10 free e-learning courses of your choice or one of three free LinuxCon North America passes we're giving away.

The series will help test your knowledge of basic sysadmin principles and give you a quick, weekly refresher on the topics covered by the Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS) certification exam. It's also just a great way to get more Linux tutorials.

The signupp link for these Linux SysAdmin Tutorials is here[6].
From reviewing the Linux Foundation Training sysadmin tutorials I've already received, it appears that the topics in their tutorials parallel to a large extent the material within IBM developerWorks' excellent LPIC-1: Linux Server Professional Certification series of tutorials[7] written by Ian Shields.

Cheers,
-A