From: ace36 <acohen36@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: BerkeleyLUG meetup this Sunday 2017-09-24 at 85c Bakery + *maybe* a special caution
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 08:06:00 -0700

Previously, I wrote..

******
Just throwing this out there,...
There is a very slight possibility that nearby rallies and protests might
happen which are all connected to Cal's Free Speech Week -- which
officially starts the same Sunday as the BerkeleyLUG meetup. I don't
realisticaly expect much to happen at this point, unless something
dramatically changes from what's already scheduled to occur.
Still, it's good to be aware of last-minute announcements and news reports
related to Free Speech Week, just in case something _does_ come up that
might affect getting to and from 85c Bakery this Sunday.
******

Well, according to the latest news reports, something really **did**
dramatically change from "what's already scheduled to occur." According to
yesterday'story
http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/09/23/berkeley-patriot-group-cancels-free-speech-week-milos-plans-unknown/,
Cal's Free Speech Week was actually **cancelled** and Milo Yiannopoulos
might very well have a march at Lower Sproul Plaza at 12Noon today. How
about that!

Lower Sproul Plaza is closest to Telegraph Ave on the South side of the Cal
campus (at least according to OpenStreetMap.org
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=University%20of%20California%20Berkeley#map=14/37.8734/-122.2468>
anyway); the point being that the planned march is much further away from
the Springer Gateway entrance on the West part of campus closest to 85c
Bakery. Even though most of the activity from Milo's march and the
counterprotesters would likely be around the Sproul area of campus and
along Telegraph Ave itself, I suspect that there would still be some
march-related gatherings and traffic around Downtown Berkeley before and at
the 12Noon start of the BerkeleyLUG meetup (e.g.,
pedestrians/bicycles/cars/vans of counterprotesters, student and
non-student spectators, news crews, law enforcement/police, ...etc.) Maybe
such gatherings and traffic would even continue into later on this same
afternoon(?) Couldn't at all estimate how heavy or even completely absent
such gatherings and traffic might be though, so the bottom-line is just to
be aware of the possibilities when travelling to and from 85c.

-A