Lower memory install tip (example from yesterday's meeting)

Lower memory install tip (example from yesterday's meeting)

Got an installation that's a bit intensive on memory, struggling with /
not quite making it through the installation on account of that?
But ... the distribution/installation itself is (semi-?)reasonable as
far as (virtual) memory goes ... at least once it's been installed?
Installing from ISO image on USB flash?
But the flash is fair bit bigger than the size of the ISO image itself?
Well, try adding, early in the installation process, some swap on that
USB flash!

E.g. Kubuntu (or Ubuntu) 16.04.3 LTS amd64 - struggles (at best!) to
install from the (standard) Live DVD on a system with "only" 1 GiB of
RAM(!).  But it does run (semi-?)reasonably once installed (and with
swap also configured and available).

So ... when installing, quite early in the procedure - before kicking
off the install proper (before clicking or double clicking the desktop
icon to kick off the install) ...
open up root session on text virtual console, e.g.:
<Control>-<Alt>-<F1>
login (e.g. kubuntu)
become root (superuser, UID 0), e.g. via sudo.

examine and determine the disk/flash devices, e.g.:
# blkid /dev/sd?
/dev/sdb: UUID="2017-08-01-12-29-51-00" LABEL="Kubuntu 16.04.3 LTS amd64" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="626b608f" PTTYPE="dos"
#

Note the device that has the ISO image - /dev/sdb in our example.

Make note of the size of the ISO image - you'll need that information:
$ ls -on kubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
-r--r--r-- 1 0 1599602688 Aug  1 12:29 kubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
$ curl -I -s http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/16.04.3/release/kubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
HTTP/1.1 200 OK