Re: BerkeleyLUG domains, "hosting", etc.

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> So, BerkeleyLUG domains were transferred earlier this month.  Yes,
> more than one domain.  There's berkeleylug.com - which as far as I
> know has always been the canonical.  There's also berkeleylug.org -
> which I only relatively recently learned about.

And, for the record, both domains are in my roster of domains to monitor
for pending expiration.  As a reminder, anyone is welcome to use, as I
do, the Perl script d-check by Jesse Monroy to programmatically watch
for pending domain expirations/renewal dates.  Jesse's master code for
d-check is at https://github.com/jessemonroy650/d-check, and I keep a
tarball at http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/network/ .

d-check is a superior replacement for a now unmaintained Perl script
named domain-check, but intentionally has the same syntax, so the
example files in my http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/network/ work with
it.  Anyway, my Linux server sends me a domain-check report every Sunday
of which friends' domains are nearing expiration, so I can make sure
they're aware and won't accidentally lose the domains.

> .com "vs." .org?

I considered snagging linuxmafia.org at the same time I registered
linuxmafia.com.  I've never regretted declining the opportunity.
(Hilariously, www.linuxmafia.org is now some sort of low-rent Indonesian
WordPress site about online poker.)  People justify the extra domain
expenditure on grounds of 'future growth' and 'preventing your enemies /
people you disapprove of creating squatter sites', but mostly it ends up
being just a money drain for no real benefit.  IMO.

> There's also www. prefix - or not.  As far as I'm aware,
> BerkeleyLUG has generally effectively not used www. (it redirecting
> to without the www. prefix).

That's what I do.

You need to have something to handle queries for www because, no matter
how painstakingly you specify the URL, there are a bunch of people
who'll automatically prepend 'www.' to any domain.

> With www. can be more flexible -
> e.g. mail/list/other services, can be more easily separated out to
> different sites/hosts, by using a separate (sub-)domain.

Without objection, I'll point out that you can still do that even if
(as at present for BerkeleyLUG, and also for my two personal domains)
your Web server lacks 'www.' in its FQDN.

Like, I've never bothered to have a 'mail.linuxmafia.com' subdomain, but
I certainly could, and favouring 'http://linuxmafia.com/' over
'http://www.linuxmafia.com/' for the Web server in no way prevents that
option from remaining practical if I ever want it.

> So ... thoughts on domain(s), canonical URLs for main/home page on site,
> hosting, etc.?

If you run out of hobbies ;->  , you can post the DNS zonefiles here and
we can bikeshed over how to improve them.  (They're probably OK but we
could look.)

Also, moving DNS will be easy - have sufficient