Re: BerkeleyLUG - list: "New member posts are moderated" - should I/we change that?

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:14:09 AM UTC-7, Michael Paoli wrote:
In checking over the BerkeleyLUG list
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/berkeleylug
a bit, I noticed the current setting:
New member posts are moderated
Should I/we change that to:
No posting restrictions for new members.

One response on this that I'm thinking of hinges on the weighing-in of whether you/we
are encouraging new members to post valid messages at the decided expense of
cases of False Negatives when "new members" (spammers, etc) are able to
game the system and effectively get their usually invalid/spammy messages posted.

An applicable depiction of this weighing-in, IMO, is the review of a variation of the
"wolf-prediction" model of https://developers.google.com/machine-learning/crash-course/classification/true-false-positive-negative
that uses a 2x2 confusion matrix depicting four possible outcomes.
In our case of new member moderation or not, the positive class is "Spammer" and the negative class is "Valid List Subscriber".
So as an appropriate tweak of this model...
members
* List admin said: "Moderation-on by
default for new members; Spammer!"
* Outcome: List admin is a hero
members
* List admin said: "NO moderation-on by
default for new members; Valid List
Subscriber!"
* Outcome: Spammer keeps getting their
messages posted on the list until
finally caught and banned
* List admin said: "Moderation-on by
default for new members; Spammer!"
* Outcome: New list-members get confused
or annoyed at list admins over why they
cannot post legitimate messages
* List admin said: "NO moderation-on by
default for new members; Valid List
Subscriber!"
* Outcome: New list-members can post
their valid messages and are as fine and
dandy as they can be

Of course we'd all probably want to optimize both the TP's and TN's here through
whatever new member moderation-level (or absence) is agreed-upon, but then by doing
so, this will probably also directly affect the undesirable FN's and FP's to one degree
or another.

-A