Re: BerkeleyLUG - list: "New member posts are moderated" - should I/we change that?

Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli@cal.berkeley.edu):

> In checking over the BerkeleyLUG list
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/berkeleylug
> a bit, I noticed the current setting:
> New member posts are moderated
> Should I/we change that to:
> No posting restrictions for new members.

To expand on what I said:

The more widely you deploy the 'moderated' flag on subscribed senders,
the more one of two things must then ensue:  Either the listadmins
work incrementally harder monitoring the held-messages queue frequently,
or legitimate posters encounter delay in their postings going out -- or
some combination.  Both of those things are (differently) bad.

For legit posters, unexplained and mysterious transmission delays are a
turn-off.  For listadmins, more scutwork is a turnoff.

For those reasons, the moderated flag should be used only to the minimum
feasible degree.