What bus is the touchpad connected to?

I will be at the LUG meeting tomorrow maybe with some cake (!)

Anyways I am continuing my quest to reclaim parts scavenged from old laptops.
I have already soldered a USB cable to laptop webcam.
Now I'm thinking about the touchpad.

How would I go about finding out how it is connected? Is it USB? PS/2?  Or something else?

For the laptop cam it is listed in lsusb so that was easy.

On my Thinkpad xinput list gives
Synaptics tm2964-001                      id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint

And on lsusb only the camera and bluetooth shows up.

So how is the Synaptics connected?   The TrackPoint seems to be PS/2 by the name.

From searching the web I find many older touchpads were PS/2 but I am wondering if they are USB or maybe I2c now.

P.S. Also interested in the keyboards.  I understand they are connected to the laptop as a raw matrix to controller chip on the board.  So you could use a multimeter to get the matrix and Arduino to interface.

Thomas