Re: Help With Installing New Printer

Quoting 'Christian Peeples' via BerkeleyLUG (berkeleylug@googlegroups.com):

> I just got a little HP Laser Jet MFP M28-M31.

Well, that sounds like you have your first problem right there.

HP's documentation suggests that 'MFP M28-M31' is not a multifunction
printer model, but rather a _group_ of multifunction printer models,
comprising the following HP LaserJet Pro MFP models:  M28a, M28w, M29a,
M29w, M30a, M30W, and M31w.

So, maybe you ought to circle back and look at your multifunction
printer and figure out what its model number is.  Giving people whom you
want to help you wrong or vague information makes it difficult for them
to assist you.

The docs suggest that these multifunction printers are theoretically
reachable from computers via either or both of USB 2.0 or built-in WiFi
802.11b/g/n.  Long experience suggests you should avoid WiFi
connectivity to this printer (as there tend to be various problems) and
stick to USB.

> I downloaded the Ubuntu driver.

Stop there.

Sorry, what?  First of all, it's not clear that you need to download
anything at all.  Second, your term 'the Ubuntu driver' is so incredibly
vague, that nobody here is going to be able to determine what the heck
you're talking about.

Part of the problem here, I would guess, is that you didn't take
contemporaneous notes when you did things, so now you're trying to
reconstruct a description from unaided memory, and you can't remember
details.  Nothing wrong with you, of course,  People's memories are
almost never able to pull that off.  But, what I'm saying is, you
would want to go back and try... things... a second time, but this time
taking contemporaneous notes.

But you shouldn't be trying things out yet.  Because first you should
figure out what actual printer model you have.  Then, you should perhaps
see if your distro's package version of HPLIP provides support for this
gadget.  Then _maybe_ you will end up needing to download the
proprietary binary-only HPLIP software directly from HP, which is
something you should avoid and do only if necessary.

> It gave instructions on how to run from the terminal.

'It'?

Notice the problem?  Nobody is going to have Clue One what your word
'it' refers to, here.

> I opened a terminal and got the following:
>
> ~$ cd downloads
> bash: cd: downloads: no such file or directory

Dude.  I'll bet you were supposed to type 'cd Downloads'.

Welcome to Unix.  Filenames/directory names are case-sensitive.
'downloads' and 'Downloads' are different.

> When I download and try tree, I get pages and pages of lines and
> numbers with a few recognizable words.

Dude.  What the heck?  Again, nobody is going to have any idea what you
mean when you say 'when I download'.  And then, are you serious that you
were using the 'tree' command?  Why exactly?  What problem were you
trying to solve?

It seems like maybe you were trying to follow some set of instructions
somewhere (where?), but going off-track.  But what set of instructions,
and why that set of instructions?

You may be energetically attempting to solve the wrong problem.

Take a deep breath, back up, and figure out what HP LaserJet Pro MFP
model you have.  Start there.

--
Cheers,                            "Rand Paul being patient zero for a Senate
Rick Moen                          viral outbreak is a sign of a writers' room