Re: (forw) Re: [Felton LUG] Jitsi Meet: A Free & Open Source Video Conferencing Solution

Dear All:

I have been using Jitsi for a while. I append my file and attach a guide. Neither of them go into the technical details that interest Rick. One of Jitsi's attributes is that it is open source, so you can copy it and use it on your own server behind a firewall so it is only available to folks in your organization.

-- Chris Peeples --

*** Other Video Conferencing ***

To schedule a meeting in Jitsi send a URL in the following format:

https://meet.jit.si/[Unique Identifier] (& in the string causes it to fail.) (Always test before sending out)

Jitsi.org. meet.jit.si

Using Jitsi: A free, no-registration video conferencing site (6 min.)
(Good, clear and brief.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s--nQFtnfbM&feature=emb_rel_end

Jitsi : The free Zoom Alternative ! (27 min. only watch the first half.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRaTFDMk67g

Using Jitsi Meet | Video Conference Demonstration (16 min)
OK, a bit folksy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iwiwq7eofE

Mozilla Blog On Video Conferencing Very Positive About Jitsi

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/categories/video-call-apps/?utm_source=newsletter-mofo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pnivideocallapps2020&utm_content=launchemail&utm_term=5277136

Example of the message Jitsi sends out.

"Christian is inviting you to a meeting.

Join the meeting:
https://meet.jit.si/HECP_3_Device_Test

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.402.2718,,832303905#

Looking for a different dial-in number?
See meeting dial-in numbers: https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=HECP_3_Device_Test

If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: https://meet.jit.si/HECP_3_Device_Test#config.startSilent=true"

Webex Scheduling (1:40 min.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bV4U5U-fpPg&feature=youtu.be

appear.in. Per Dottotech

Video conferencing comparison

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21202945/zoom-alternative-conference-video-free-app-skype-slack-hangouts-jitsi

You can also watch the videos for other video conferencing applications here:

How to Use Skype
https://youtu.be/NRcb3uB3Jac

How to Use Google Meet
https://youtu.be/b2A6nP4GaWE

Videoconferencing comparison

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21202945/zoom-alternative-conference-video-free-app-skype-slack-hangouts-jitsi

ZOOM vs SKYPE vs WEBEX | WHICH IS BEST IN 2020 | DAVID TOMIC. (9 min.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YY5yoZzTiyY

Wire Video Conferencing (only supports 4 people on the call. Very secure.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_(software)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw-prmbqRAg

https://wire.com/en/

Choosing the right video conferencing tool for the job - Freedon Of The Press Foundation Blog On Video
Conferencing.

https://freedom.press/training/blog/videoconferencing-tools/

Some examples of proposed messages.

We will be using Jitsi, a free open–source video conferencing platform. Think Mozella’s Firefox as opposed to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer or Google’s Chrome. It does not have the time limitations of the free versions of Zoom or Cisco’s WebEx. It also has the ability for the host to drop the Fidelity from high definition to regular in case someone is having bandwidth problems. On a computer Jitsi runes in a browser window, so it works on any computer. On a smart phone or tablet, it will prompt you to download an app. The only problem with that app is that it does not work on IOS below 11.0, so I can't use it on my iPhone 4S. It recently got a rave review for security and privacy on Mozella's blog. If we have any problems with Jitsi, I can set up an instant meeting in Zoom with my PMI (personal meeting ID), which is: [XXX-XXX-XXXX]. That will be limited to 40 min.

I have been doing lots of zoom calls of various durations and I have some observations. See if you agree.

For calls with up to five or eight people, they can be completely freeform. If folks are fairly disciplined and polite that can work up to 12 or 15 people. Above that, up to 20 or 30 people it can work OK, but is it better for the host to have an assistant to monitor the chat and keep an eye out for people putting their hands up. In either case the assistant notifies the host who then calls on people. Above 20 or 30 people, the call really needs to be run like a webinar; A presentation, followed by people given the opportunity to ask questions with somebody, either the host or an assistant, recognizing people and on muting them so they can ask their questions and then you take them again. Above 100 or 120, the questions all need to be in writing vetted by the host’s assistant.