Re: Home Server for family pix & vids

TYVM for the concise reply. ( I'm aware & "working on" the concise thing. )

2 wrongs don't ... Missing that the first NIC was PCI and then getting a non-Linux working PCIe NIC...

As for the box itself, I'm a budget constrained noob. Since the goal is to be able serve pix/vids to the family on the LAN*... which IMHO wouldn't require much oomph. ( A working NIC would be nice ). But I've read somewhere ... that someone took a low end "chromebook" and used it as such. What am I missing?

* side benefits are:

In the other extreme, I recently discovered a "homelab" community on reddit. For now, I'll just say that what they do is mind boggling, and ... how do they pay their electric bill?

peace & 42

On Saturday, October 3, 2020, 10:50:28 AM PDT, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

Quoting Jason Marks (jymarks@sbcglobal.net):

> This summer I came to the realization that a cheap desktop could serve
> as a centralized repo of family pix and vids.

Be warned that desktop boxen often make unsatisfactory servers for lots
of individually compelling reasons.  And going as cheap as humanly
possible increases the challenges.

> Eventually got back to the store and exchanged it for a PCIe NIC.
> TP-Link TG-3468. Not detected.

This is a really cut-rate design.  It replies on a Realtek
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller chip and is
supported by the r8169 driver.  You're not going to get a decent gigabit
NIC at a $12 price point, by the way.

If you want to not have problems, avoid NICs based on Realtek chips;
gravitate towards NICs with Intel chips.

Meantime, try a different PCIe slot if possible, and check the NIC and
motherboard documentation to see if there's settings to control IRQ
assignment.