Re: Error Selecting Port on CHIRP

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 1:41 AM 'Christian Peeples' via BerkeleyLUG <berke...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Dear All:
I am trying to use CHIRP on my Lenovo ThinkPadX61 running Uuntu 20.4 LTS to program my Wouxun KG-UV3D.  When I try the first step in the process -- downloading the frequencies from the radio -- I get the error message:
"An error has occurred:  [Errno 13] could not open port /dev/ttyS0: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/dev/ttyS0'"
The choices I get for "Port" are /dev/ttyS1 [through S59].  Any idea how to figure out the current one without trying 59 ports?  Is there some permission I need or dependency I need to download?

-- Chris Peeples KE6MQW --
(c) +1-510-851-0968
--

Besides what Thomas previously wrote, the searchhit-result SerialException: Could not open port /dev/ttyS0 [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/dev/ttyS0' #17 at https://github.com/codebugtools/codebug_tether/issues/17 using the exact text "[Errno 13] could not open port /dev/ttyS0: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/dev/ttyS0" provides a somewhat-alternative solution. Sure, there're also the multiple solutions provided at the Ubuntu-specific link https://askubuntu.com/questions/210177/serial-port-terminal-cannot-open-dev-ttys0-permission-denied
Specifically following-up on the suggestions by user tompreston at the GitHub link, you (Chris) could also perform more complete steps such as: