Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Meeting 18.12.2022 Sunday

In person at SoDoI Coffee house and online at meet.jit.si/Pi.BerkeleyLUG  from 11 am till about 2pm
SoDoI is on the bottom floor of theTelegraph/Channing parking structure.  Maybe a bit hard to find if you have never been inside.  It is right next to the Unit 3 dorm towards Telegraph.

So even though this is called a Pi meeting there is no requirement to actually bring a raspberry pi or to even talk about raspberry pi computers.  The idea is to focus on Linux or Linuxy hardware or gadgets.

The industrial pc that I mentioned last meeting announcement has arrived.   (won it on the hardware review site cnx-software.com)  I unboxed it and powered it up.  Actually it has android pre-installed and so it is more like an android tv box.  It seems pretty cool, but then I have never had one of those aliexpress tv boxes before.

I switched my internet service in the last couple of weeks from AT&T fiber to Sonic Fiber.   The Sonic service is up to 10gigabit.  I have no 10Gb hardware so I can't tell how fast it is.  My router is now a Unifi (Ubiquiti) edgerouter x which can only do gigabit.  My desktop has 2.5Gb ethernet and I see close to that when directly to the PC.  I have a used 10Gbe card on the way and I'll test with that.  There doesn't seem to be that much in the way of affordable 10Gb hardware (routers are mostly in the $1000+ range)  But I have seen a 10Gb arm based router pc around $300+  I don't know how long we'll have to wait for the aliexpress army to start making 10Gb firewall/router pc's

I have a wifi dongle in my car and I have been noticing that it cuts out when getting close to the BART monorail to the Oakland Airport.   So I am thinking that the monorail is emitting RF noise that interferes.  Any thoughts?  Have any of you noticed this?  How to test or verify?
The dongle could be faulty.  It does cut out at other times but consistently at the monorail.

Giveaway:  Thinkpad X240 https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc  I'll post more details to the regular list.
There is also the Ideapad 3  But I feel that the screen is too shitty That I'm kinda embarrassed to give away.  You can insist that you want it and I'll change my mind.  Or if
the cafe is mostly empty and I have space I can swap the screen out.

Hope to see you there, Thomas

P.S.  Next regular Berkeley LUG falls on Christmas.  SoDoI will be closed but I'll be at Cafe Strada holding down the Linux fort.  Stop by if you want.