Toby DiPasquale on 3 Sep 2007 15:57:57 -0000

[philly-lambda] CouchDB: Non-RDBMS in Erlang

  • From: "Toby DiPasquale" <codeslinger@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [philly-lambda] CouchDB: Non-RDBMS in Erlang
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 11:57:37 -0400
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

Hey all,

I'm sure you've all seen this by this point, but here goes:

http://couchdb.org/

Its a new document-oriented database with a non-relational model
written in Erlang (plus Mozilla's Spidermonkey for JavaScript
parsing). It stores docs in the DB in JSON format (XML currently, but
JSON is right around the corner) and allows you to dynamically create
"views" to extract the data with its JS-based query language, Fabric.
Looks like Vertica finally got some Open Source-based competition ;-)

If this was farther along (e.g. data partitioning), I'd be seriously
considering using it at $ORK. As it is, I'm building something similar
on top of Hadoop. This is one project to keep an eye one, IMHO.

--
Toby DiPasquale