Scott Fraser on 26 Mar 2009 07:23:06 -0700

Re: we really should pressure Scott to give this for us too: Clojure and The Robot Apocalypse: Needfuls for Newbies

  • From: Scott Fraser <Scott.E.Fraser@gmail.com>
  • To: Philly Lambda <philly-lambda@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: we really should pressure Scott to give this for us too: Clojure and The Robot Apocalypse: Needfuls for Newbies
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :mime-version:received:date:in-reply-to:x-ip:references:user-agent :x-http-useragent:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:sender:precedence:x-google-loop :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-unsubscribe :x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=RnZE8L8EQrGM/fT9CiGjnt/4Fi82HaOmSOw4hf2dbQY=; b=YnA1y3GrLlo0WCs/n0KRUU+gAyAeokondBKi4MPjEu3hRfbMobtZgY9hsUZf5PzUbX IoAoOGbdVqqa61ysLHvbNEgabAOZwHxjHUajsaSlqwd0RDfEWo55d7A5cnnxJSv5P24F 8wAr0IbbfHJlUlIkUkutDaUs8G+ahedS8em7Y=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

Indeed - it is a "bootcamp" for those who want to learn about clojure
and FP. I am not sure if there would be much new for the Philly Lamda
crew, unless you wanted to have a more general purpose intro for new
members. And I may not be the best FP person to do it. You all would
still be schooling me at this point.

I think what might be of interest at this group's level would be how
the FP layer and mutable world come together, best practices to
isolate that changes, etc... and of most interest to me, how to
leverage concurrency. In the talk I will show taking a single-threaded
Game of Life to multi-threaded and how it was done.

I am doing the same presentation at the Philly Java Users Group in
April or May still TBD.

Anyways here is the near-complete deck (still needs some editing and
cleanup, and missing slides on the demos at the end) FYI, feedback
appreciated (I know you FP purists will probably find some things to
nit pick on, please pass those thoughts on):

http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=dfrhskst_2671dcbr66f4

-Scott