Kyle R. Burton on 2 Apr 2009 19:19:30 -0700

Re: git resources

  • From: "Kyle R. Burton" <kyle.burton@gmail.com>
  • To: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Re: git resources
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:19:18 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :received:received:received-spf:authentication-results:received :dkim-signature:domainkey-signature:mime-version:received :in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:sender:precedence:x-google-loop :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-unsubscribe :x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=o+hjrN6a2mHhdtQkQp3AXip9zfTE2evdBsN/sxdO4pY=; b=nktnIBeF0JtgZO9wdf7e8P/I3qIWDTKNm9IIxl9DJ0ehVb0OppejJHVgtNJrodbQHN 8YhXJnEQjqIrxnBv6bZM733UczXhm6HHVP7BYCQ4Hn5UstnYHFC2RYzcVvddWRZpIMIe VF+B6ZCsclmXf2PYrcVQFD0ZBYlX+TuFSAI38=
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=bmDqtxNWEeHk9Jv6q2WyEDpJWGYK0Z/R9LYpWmB6tXE=; b=MgHOKDy1qg36b4iaBr23XZIegQluMaSWk75y5pHv0LvHl7Pdxyh1t/dOxwUQgRVVpU Mt0abtWCqiPt523TekbHJ7bji6AvsKR4ayOstNOtz9H3rnCE8dQBai+LAF6ZVN+L1pvQ +5RVz0ZJe308HMKxqD3OQaprXFyB9rtMtFmTs=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

> Has anyone tried putting their entire home directory in git?

> I've been considering it for a while now, but haven't yet taken
> the plunge.

Michael,

I wasn't aware of that list, thanks for sharing it.

I actually advocated checking in your $HOME during the talk.  I do
this myself and find that I get a very uneasy feeling now whenever I
ssh to a box where I don't have it tracked git.  I have also been
doing the same for /etc - and both have saved me from myself when
changing configurations (eg: breaking the xorg config file).

Git makes it really easy to track $HOME.  It's typically as easy as an
init, then capturing an initial status to the .gitignore file, remove
the things you want tracked from the ignore file, leave the stuff you
don't want to track (my tmp, large binaries like Movies or Music, my
source projects which are their own git repos, some of the dot files
which are histories or `recent' file lists, the .mozilla web page
cache directory, IPC files and so on).  Then an add for all the stuff
that's not ignored and I'm good to go.

Tracking my $HOME has given me an awareness of what is happening in a
way that I never had before.  I find that its actually a lot cleaner
since it's easy for me to see what's new and decide to either track it
or toss it out if it really was temporary.

The git reset on /etc followed by a ctrl-alt-backspace was a beautiful
thing when I had borked my xorg config...

Kyle

kyle.burton@gmail.com                            http://asymmetrical-view.com/