Kyle R. Burton on 3 Jun 2010 12:09:13 -0700

Philly Lambda Charter / Splintering, was Re: Scala in Philly?

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Brian Clapper <bmc@clapper.org> wrote:
> Just sent this to the scala-users mailing list. Seems apropos here, as
> well:
> ---
> A few of us Scala enthusiasts in and around the Philadelphia, PA, area
> have been throwing around the idea of a Philly-area Scala group. I
> said I'd toss an email out into the ether, to see whether there are
> any other people on this list in the same general area who'd be
> interested. Drop me an email, if so. Courtesy of Mark Chadwick, we
> already have a cool acro-name; we just need the people to go with it.

That PHASE is getting started is a good sign - it shows that there is
a growing interest in functional programming, that we have enthusiasm
and energy in the local tech community.

My idea of what Philly Lambda is, is that it's centered around
interesting technologies, inclusive of FP, but not necessarily with a
focus on a particular, specific language or technology.  I would have
expected it to host Scala - is there something about the group that
didn't serve your needs or is there something else you expect to get
out of a Scala specific group?  (I have some ideas of what, I'm just
interested in your reasoning).

With this splintering off, I'm wondering if there may also be interest
in a Clojure offshoot?

Kyle