Walt Mankowski on 15 Oct 2010 08:46:37 -0700

Re: Git books

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:02:18AM -0400, Mark Dominus wrote:

> I found "Git from the bottom up" tremendously useful.  It is not a
> book, which I consider an advantage.  An experienced engineer might
> appreciate the approach, which is to explain the internals, and the
> brevity.
>
>         http://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/git.from.bottom.up.pdf

At the Pittsburgh Perl Workshop last weekend, one of the best talks
was one where the speakers explained how git works internally using
tinkertoys and post-it notes.  It sounds silly (and it was, of course)
but was also really helpful in understanding what was going on with
branches, merging, rebases, etc.  Skimming through this document, it
looks like it might be doing much the same thing, but in more detail.

Walt