Brian Donahue on 9 Feb 2011 19:10:26 -0800

Philly.NET Code Camp looking for some of that crazy wild west web stuff

So, the semi-annual Philly.NET code camp is coming up in April, and they seem to be slowly, carefully broadening their horizons further with each code camp.  It's a huge (FREE) event, with 500+ attendees, 12 tracks, 60 total sessions.  There is a lot of what you might expect - enterprisey Sharepoint, and SQL Server tracks, but there is some pretty cool stuff, too, and this year they have three different web tracks, one of which is focusing on non-Microsoft web stacks.  For a few years now, I've run the "Alt.NET" track in which I've always tried to include stuff from outside the usual Microsoft ecosystem, and I'm glad to see other tracks doing this more and more.

I think it would be awesome to get a few folks from other communities (I'm emailing Philly.rb and Philly Lambda because I'm a lurker and sometime attendee, but please feel free to suggest/forward to any other folks that might be interested) to come and show off some of the things that they use to do web development, or anything else you are passionate about - clojure, functional programming, cloud apps/services...  There are a couple spots open in the web track, and a couple spots still open in mine.  There is already an intro to Rails 3 w/MongoDB talk, but I'm sure there are lots of angles, and other web frameworks that would blow the minds of some of the hard core 'softies.

I can tell you from experience that it's pretty fun to talk about stuff that the vast majority of these folks don't know about, or at least don't hear very much about.  You get a lot of funny looks and funny questions, but also a lot of interested, appreciative folks who you can tell you have completely just opened a whole new world of possibilities for.

So, if you think this type of "stranger in a strange land" experience sounds fun, please feel free to submit your talk on their AWESOME SHAREPOINT SITE!

Code camp date and details:  http://codecamp.phillydotnet.org/2011-1/

Submit and/or see other submissions here:  http://codecamp.phillydotnet.org/2011-1/Lists/Speakers/AllItems.aspx

See the few already selected talks here (subject to change): http://codecamp.phillydotnet.org/2011-1/Lists/Sessions/ByTrack.aspx

Hope to see a few brave souls submit!  (feel free to ping me off-list with questions, or to let me know if you submitted)

-Brian