Brian Clapper on 4 Apr 2011 11:35:19 -0700

Mongo Philly

Okay, I apologize in advance for polluting the list with this one, though I
think it's somewhat relevant.

Brendan McAdams, of 10Gen, Casbah, Lift and Akka, has offered to be a
upcoming PHASE speaker, date and time TBD. In addition, we're hoping he and
10Gen will be involved in the upcoming Scala Hackathon, to be held in
Philly in mid-July.

By way of quid pro quo, I'd like to make note of an event 10Gen is hosting
in Philly, later this month: Mongo Philly.

Quoting from http://www.10gen.com/conferences/mongophilly2011:

    Mongo Philly is a one-day conference dedicated to MongoDB, the leading
    open source, non-relational database. The conference will feature
    sessions on schema design, indexing, administration, replication,
    sharding, and more. The event is sponsored by 10gen, the company that
    develops and supports the database.

Mongo Philly will be held one day before Philly ETE, at the same hotel, the
Society Hill Sheraton. There's a little over a day left in the early bird
period, where ticket prices are only $50. Tomorrow, the ticket prices
double. (Student tickets are only $30.)

I realize this isn't, strictly speaking, an FP event. But Mongo does
dovetail nicely with aspects of functional programming. Plus, Brendan's a
good guy, and I offered to help spread the word for him.

If this is too far off-topic for Philly-Lambda, please blame me, not
Brendan or 10Gen.
--
-Brian

Brian Clapper, http://www.clapper.org/bmc/
Keep in mind always the two constant Laws of Frisbee:
1. The most powerful force in the world is that of a disc straining to land
   under a car, just out of reach. (This force is technically termed "car
   suck.")
2. Never precede any maneuver by a comment more predictive than "Watch this!"