Michael Bevilacqua-Linn on 21 Nov 2011 18:05:53 -0800

Next Meeting, Format Change.

Hey folks,

Thanks for everyone who came out to Functional Fall, it was a blast!

I'm working on getting our next meeting ironed out, more details and a doodle with possible dates to follow shortly.

After our next meeting, I'd like to start mixing things up a bit.  Functional Fall was still going strong up until the end, and we had a bunch of papers that went unread.  I was thinking that we could split things up between the normal presentations, paper reading groups, and tutorials.

The presentations would be the same thing that we've been doing from the start, (well, actually I guess the first meeting was at a Sugar Moms, but I digress).

Paper reading groups would follow the same pattern that the Functional Fall meetings followed.  We'd pick a paper, pick a discussion lead and a notetaker, and go from there.

Tutorials might spans 2 or 3 days over a week or two, and would be focused on introducing a language/framework/technique, etc.  These would be something like an introduction to Clojure/Haskell, or a macro tutorial.  They would be hands on, and participants would be encouraged to bring their laptops.  They would be led by a tutorial leader who would prepare a bit of a lesson and would hopefully be able to help get folks up and running with a development environment if needed.

So what say you all?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Questions/comments/concerns?

Thanks,
MBL