Kyle R. Burton on 13 Apr 2012 11:05:01 -0700

Re: Beginning functional programming

> Hi all - 3rd year student at West Chester University here, hoping to
> get started learning functional programming. I'm attracted to the idea
> of no side effects, as well as the close relation of functional
> languages to mathematical ideas and notation. I'm wondering, what is a
> good language to start with? I've heard good things about Haskell and
> Clojure, but I'm hoping to get some more opinions.

I think those are both great languages to start with.  They are
certainly both worth the time studying.  There are people on this list
that have worked with both.

As far as choosing, that's something you should decide for yourself.
I personally need to work with other JVM based software and I
personally like the Lisp family of languages, so I work in Clojure.
Haskell is a language that I want to study because there are a lot
more functional concepts that I stand to learn by studying it.

HTH

Best Regards,

Kyle

--