Sonny To on 2 Jan 2013 09:08:36 -0800

Re: December Meeting

as an alternative you might want to look into monoTouch and monoDroid.  You can write your core business logic in C# and use it both on iOS and android. The only differences in the platform is isolated in the UI code.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Jim Snavely <ludflu@gmail.com> wrote:
I probably should have sent this to the whole group. Anyway, I'm happy to do this in January, or take a number. :)

--Jim

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Snavely <ludflu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: December Meeting
To: Michael Bevilacqua-Linn <michael.bevilacqualinn@gmail.com>

Hi Michael,

A little different than what we usually do at Philly Lambda, but might be of interest:

I've been working on a mobile app to do biometric calculations on both iOS and Android platforms. I really like the slickness and UI refinements of native apps, but only wanted to code and test the calculations once.

So in order to have my cake and eat it too, I wrote the platform independent business stuff in Java, (directly usable on android) and then automatically translated that code to Objective-C using google's j2objc. (http://code.google.com/p/j2objc/) I could talk about what worked and what didn't.

If we have time left over, I could delve into the slightly more advanced Objective-C nooks and crannies like "Blocks" (aka lambdas) and "Method Swizzling", a way of dynamically augmenting Objective-C classes.

I could be ready for this in the second half of January.

--Jim