Erin Mulder on Wed Oct 12 01:42:42 2005

[PhillyOnRails] Scriptaculous Drag & Drop Problem

  • From: meara@alumni.princeton.edu (Erin Mulder)
  • Subject: [PhillyOnRails] Scriptaculous Drag & Drop Problem
  • Date: Wed Oct 12 01:42:42 2005

Okay, here's a puzzle for all you Javascript/CSS/AJAX folks.

I'm using the scriptaculous javascript libs that ship with Rails and am
having trouble making drag and drop work across scrollable divs.
(Others have had the same problem, but nobody's found a perfect solution
yet.  That's where you come in!)

Attached is a zip file with the latest script libraries and a page that
demonstrates the problem.

In the default behavior, if I create a draggable inside a scrollable
(overflow:auto) div and then try to drag it, it just expands the size of
the div and doesn't let the draggable out of it.

If I turn on ghosting, that helps a little, but the draggable ends up
behind the target div instead of in front of it.  Plus, there is a lot
of flickering during the revert.

In my ideal situation, I want to have two scrollable divs side by side.
The one on the left will display schedulable content. The one on the
right will display time slots.  Users will be able to schedule content
by dragging content from the left into a particular time slot on the
schedule.

Free pizza and accolades for anyone who can solve this!

Cheers,
Erin