Aaron Blohowiak on 22 Aug 2006 15:18:07 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] deploying to a shared host - cry for help

Did you upload your data in addition to your app?

The error suggests that you are calling nil.downcase

With any debugging the real question is  "What assumption have you made that hasn't been fulfilled?"

In this case, i will assume that you meant to call downcase on a string. However, your variable is not a string, it's nil.

Common reasons for this: no records found in an ActiveRecord find() statement, empty value in your DB row, et cetera.

Techniques for tracking it down:

use script/console on the server, then go through and approximate what should be happening during that request at the command line, checking your variable's state as you go through.

Alternately, you can put in logger.info() calls which will log in production if it is only happening in prod.

Also, check out breakpointer.

Personally, I prefer the console.
Aaron Blohowiak