Freedom Dumlao on 11 Feb 2007 03:42:04 -0000

[PhillyOnRails] ActiveSearch vs acts_as_ferret

Hi all.

I have used acts_as_ferret on a couple projects so far, and have really enjoyed it's speed and how great of a job it does at producing the desired results. Today though, I ran into an issue that could not be easily solved with acts_as_ferret, but perhaps would be better suited for ActiveSearch.

I need to have 2 or 3 different indexes to search against for one model. For example, I have a Product model. Users need to search for a product by it's own columns (name, model, description). But users also need a separate search for products that are compatible with a particular device, which needs to be a different search. I noticed that with ActiveSearch, I could create multiple indexes and choose which one to search by. I think this is what I need but I am not sure of the power, speed, and reliability of ActiveSearch.

Has anyone else out there used ActiveSearch and acts_as_ferret?

Freedom R. Dumlao