Flinn Mueller on 7 Mar 2007 19:37:37 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] importing from csv

On Mar 7, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Aaron Blohowiak wrote:

How many records? How regularly?

The app can potentially take a significant amount of importing from the user during the first run. So that could be thousands of records.

Afaik, FasterCSV bombs out when a document has bad formatting on a single line. I would need to read each line of the csv file, import the good lines and kick the bad lines back to the user in a csv file for them to fix then re-upload (with some type of intelligible error message). If there is a smarter way to handle this I'm open. I think Campaign Monitor does something similar to this, and seems pretty smooth but they are really only dealing with an email address and name.