Will Merrell on 16 Mar 2007 18:13:55 -0000

[PhillyOnRails] Handling validation failures on hasmany through records

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Ruby and RoR but am making pretty good progress. But this has me stumped and I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. I haven't been able to find any examples on the web that shine the light on this yet.

I have a very simple hasmany :through model as follows:

class Member < ActiveRecord::Base
has_many :member_phones, :dependent => :destroy
has_many :phones, :through => :member_phones
validates_exclusion_of :first_name, :in => [ "Bozo"], :message => "You don't belong here"
end

class MemberPhone < ActiveRecord::Base
belongs_to :member
belongs_to :phone
validates_exclusion_of :name, :in => [ "Foobar" ], :message => "No Foobar Allowed"
end

class Phone < ActiveRecord::Base
 has_many :member_phones
 has_many :people, :through => :member_phones
end

And this all works fine. The application can do all the CRUD functions, and the validations really fail when they should.

My problem is that if I enter a phone named Foobar, it will fail to add the record just as it should, but it does so silently. I cannot figure out how to display an error message for it.

I can use <%= error_messages_for 'member' %> to display the error message if I add a member with a first name of Bozo, but I can't figure out how to get hold of the error message for the phone.

Does anyone know how to get and display the error messages on these associated tables?

--Will