Eric on 30 Jul 2007 22:06:15 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] OT: Living in Philly

I should mention that the R1 R2 R3 and R5 are all part of the
SEPTA (South-Eastern Penna Transportation Authority) "Regional Rail"
system.  I use it all the time (R3 from Swarthmore) and recommend
it.  Just wanted to make sure you knew what it was!

Oh, and welcome.

Eric

Walter Lee Davis wrote:
> Melrose/Elkins Park, PA is 15 minutes north of Center City by rail. It's
> a good walkable suburb with a tiny but functional town center and a
> great and diverse community. My kids have all gone to Myers Elementary,
> which is currently being re-built (so the entire school has moved into a
> surprisingly livable portable school on the grounds of Elkins Park
> middle school) but you cannot beat the parent involvement and the
> "mainstream + 1 on 1 help" approach to special needs kids.
>
> I recommend it wholeheartedly. Property tax is the only bad thing about
> it, but I have lived here for 15 years and don't want to move anywhere
> else until the kids are grown!
>
> There are housing opportunities from rental to multi-million mansions,
> with a good spread of sizes and values in between.
>
> Take an R1,2,3, or 5 north and get off at Elkins Park or Melrose Park
> and just walk around. Or take Broad Street north until it stops being
> 611 and veer right to follow 611. Once it stops looking like [insert
> name of recently demolished middle eastern country here] and you cross
> Cheltenham Avenue, you're there.
>
> Walter
>
> On Jul 30, 2007, at 4:25 PM, Flinn Mueller wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have some advice on where to live in Philly?  I figure
>> this is a good place to ask people who might have similar income and
>> issues to share their experience.  I'm looking at relocating to the
>> area so I'm trying to get a good idea of where to look (and were _not_
>> to look).  I have a wife and a son who's elementary school age so
>> schooling is a big factor for choosing a location.  A school with a
>> separate gifted program would be preferred but I don't know if they do
>> that in every school district.  Crime is a factor also (obviously),
>> we're from a NEPA and crime here is pretty low.  I know this subject
>> came up a few months ago but I think that was addressing a single
>> person looking for an apartment.  Any advice shared is appreciated.
>> Thanks ---flinn

#  Eric Lucas
#