GREG NEELEY on 29 Aug 2007 14:43:55 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Sharp stick in the eye on free softwaredistributed after MSDN and TechNet Events here in KC today...

Cliff,

I finally managed to get the bloody DVD running, with
great effort, and found it it was only yet another
link to ordering a REAL installation DVD for MS Server
2008, Beta 3.  Can you imagine, Cliff, a SLACKWARE
LINUX DVD that contains a link to a website so you can
actually
ORDER a copy of SLACKWARE?  What a hoot:-)

Well, I'll tell you which Microsoft clacks here in KC
are
referring to "rebel software."

Yesterday, in a theatre with roughly 200 software
engineers, I heard a self-title "Microsoft evangelist"
(it said so on the slide he prepared) refer to Oracle
as "legacy softare".

These came on the heels of being asked a question
from myself in the crowd concerning the compliance of
the
"latest and greatest" (Microsoft LINQ) with the
SQL-92 and SQL-96 standards, which, as you know,
most RDBMS vendors have worked diligently to align to:
SYBASE, ORACLE, et. al.

Oracle as "legacy"?  Sounds like slander to me.

The sad thing is that many a young developer in that
room will take what is being said as truthful.

Again, a sad comment on the American business scene.

An Indian (senior engineer) sitting behind me caught
this shit-slinging at Oracle exactly when I did. I
must
have let out a gasp of exasperation, because he leaned
down, and said to let me know by repeating, "Oracle is
not legacy" within my earshot.  I just broke out
laughing
at that point.  Utter nonsense.

Believe me there where several engineers like me in
the room who had more than 25 years in software who no
doubt were also offended by this slander.

-Greg.