Toby DiPasquale on 2 Sep 2007 00:14:55 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] jruby + hadoop?

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 09:12:58PM -0400, Evan Weaver wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences with hooking JRuby to Hadoop/HBase?

Personally, I'd stay away from it. Jython is a loser in this role and
JRuby is even slower than Jython. The implementations of Mapper and
Reducer classes are small enough that you don't really feel the Java and
you can always rock some Pig on top if you want some quick(er) querying
(in terms of dev time, that is).

To speak to Mat's call, I've offered to give a talk about MapReduce/Hadoop
in the past. Are people (other than Mat) interested in that?

> PS. Thanks Toby for your June mail about Hadoop; it's totally on the
> table now :) .

No problem. I read programming.reddit every 5 minutes so you don't have to
:)

--
Toby DiPasquale