Cliff Moon on 4 Sep 2007 19:26:44 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Question re: Ajax and REST design, and maybe even Rails

I might be misunderstanding your explanation of the user experience, but
it sounds to me like you're trying to persist changes for each
interaction with a page using xhr calls.  So my comments are only
relevant if that is your intention.

Is it a requirement that user interaction be persisted at each step?  If
not, you may want to think about just manipulating your data structures
on the client side and tossing everything to the server once the user
clicks save/commit/whatever.  That will drastically reduce the number of
requests per user, which is a big win.  And from a usability perspective
it will make more sense to your users, who are probably very used to the
request-response cycle of the web.

Is there a multiuser aspect to this that I'm missing?  Are multiple
users manipulating the same datasets concurrently?  You mentioned that
the client and the server might get out of sync, which is why I ask.
Maybe getting a higher level overview of the architecture might help.