Aaron Blohowiak on 5 Sep 2007 02:19:01 -0000

[PhillyOnRails] Re: talk Digest, Vol 24, Issue 6

Sounds like you don't want to be turning a stateless platform (HTTP) into a stateful one.  No matter how you concieve of it you're going to have to a) maintain synchrony and b) run into headaches (see (a) for more information.)

You can monitor the fields and data to ensure that all changes on the client side have been submitted before the browser changes pages, a la gmail, but even this will not ensure that you will stay in synch.

For instance, how do you plan on handling people having multiple tabs open? Comet push?

Real sticky wicket.

I might be misunderstanding your explanation of the user experience, but
it sounds to me like you're trying to persist changes for each
interaction with a page using xhr calls.  So my comments are only
relevant if that is your intention.