Jason Yates on 13 Sep 2007 17:13:58 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] rspec slides

  • From: "Jason Yates" <jaywhy@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] rspec slides
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:13:49 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=ryMWW9XzxQaTmwi1Kei1SEzmTZddcfIVOJM0PzohnPU=; b=lcbX4snjMb/H0xEx2isjAvSZsEqDhUW+iSpDar1Y6Bw+tTdJx6eX0foS7WC34w7eFP/B2WSdwUYX9AVnWRCjwxzTPxFAxaKfFrOKxClWZYm7KwHuaHSY9oRDPBZWI8wVYpTfJnPlUkzx/5Ct1Egx/PrgLLDNO/QEhaCfyEzfOFY=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

> It just seems like a tradeoff to me.  The more time you put into
> testing, the less time you have for coding, but the more reliable the
> code is.  So the question is, for project X, is it better to churn
> stuff out quickly and have a harder initial maintenance cycle, or have
> a slower development cycle with higher confidence?  Surely the answer
> is "it depends..."

I think it is more "it depends extremely rarely..."  In my experience,
the trade off point is extremely low.

Testing is more about design than code reliability.  Using your API's
before you actually create them, makes better API's and a better
design.

Testing makes refactoring a feasible operation.

Testing also helps you know exactly where you are in the development
process.  Just run the tests and see what fails, no need to stop and
think "where am I" and look back over notes, whiteboards, etc.

Not to mention it makes the code more reliable.  I sort of miss the 6
a.m. wake up calls saying the code update broke such and such.

I could go on about the benefits.  Whole books have been written about
them.  The bottom line is test ;).

--
Jason Yates
jaywhy@gmail.com