Evan Weaver on 19 Sep 2007 19:45:47 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Anyone know what 37signals is using for search?

  • From: "Evan Weaver" <evan@cloudbur.st>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Anyone know what 37signals is using for search?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:45:38 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=uaYkuPSl8z7y+MC3vdxIYr1fQHT4wP6hOG7P9/fpOq8=; b=jv7z/hXCesfU1bFRnfHyJvfAmXX6x9z5eT8uqz09d8eUsfBih46CCmJ7T08xwEClslu/H8MogHv5vqbcAEcHDvAQ7nlNR6Z1DVbRsbOjneCFtD6esA4YC4btW0o0+8r/fjjg61Oj8y3BKzumsK5X+XHdK+91+B4qjmej79qFHNM=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

For what it's worth, the Campfire search is using Porter2 stemming,
which Sphinx uses. You can tell because "business" returns results for
"busy". However, it doesn't support boolean operators, which I think
rules out a default Solr install, but is possible with acts_as_sphinx.
Ultrasphinx uses extended mode exclusively which supports operators.

Dunno how Ferret responds to these situations.

Evan

the campfire search doesn't support boolean operators. That would

On 9/19/07, Colin A. Bartlett <phillyonrails@colinabartlett.com> wrote:
> Steve Eichert wrote:
> > It'd also be interesting to know what the 10 times slower option they
> > used to be using is.  My guess is they moved from a database related
> > search to something built on top of some flavor of Lucene.
> Maybe they were doing the old "select * from whatevers where whatever
> like something". Which, of course, is slow as mollasses. And perhaps
> they switched to something indexed like Ferret.
>
> But it's hard to believe they would ever have been using something
> archaic like a DB search.
>
> --
> Colin A. Bartlett
> Kinetic Web Solutions