chapambrose on 2 Nov 2007 18:39:50 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Anyone using Media Temple's Grid Service?

  • From: chapambrose <chapambrose@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Anyone using Media Temple's Grid Service?
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:39:39 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:in-reply-to:content-type:mime-version:subject:date:references:x-mailer; bh=6lYID6JNP4hNoowjuePp3srrex07DXGNL6GEyPL4whY=; b=NgVMW2qxb5uIM6nKITFYseymc/IbGUFJaCYemoRxMISRu3SjHqPiNvm6eFFNe7PNdsNKcNNjI7YjeAcAq21Anc7UALzdbocjOfWb3dMNuk0JeRgkH4QynC8eVPUn9YAjJt+1cIQDFLYH2B+4ogm/YMHm+THIBbOdWZIM64wOZwg=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

I was pretty disappointed with the speed of their "Grid-Service" and would get proxy errors if I didn't hit the site every couple of hours. I think I tracked it down to their custom mySQL adapter but I got absolutely no help from their support team on problem. (In their KnowledgeBase they have a disclaimer at the top of the articles that basically say you're on your own with rails sites.)

Granted I'm no deployment expert, but I just couldn't waste any more time with them.

One of my client's moved to mosso and I put the site up there. Incredible service with some of the support team actually combing through my code to find some errors I had made. Really personalized; the main rails guy in the support team gave me his cell phone number because he was going out of the office for a couple days.

It might change as it gets more popular, but it's been amazing so far there.

Seems to be great if you need to do client billing, email, etc.