Adam Turoff on Wed, 5 Jan 2000 00:21:18 -0500 (EST)

news and events

Somehow, it's the beginning of a new month again.  Time to start making
plans and decisions.

1/10/00: Dinner
         Last I checked, Walt had the chopsticks.  Geoff pointed out
         that this other first monday was postponed due to the unmaterialized
         apocolypse.

1/17/00: Perl Reading Group (?)  [see next message]

1/24/00: Tech Meeting
         Topic(s) TBD [see below]

1/31/00: Perl Reading Group [see next message]

The December tech meeting was cancelled last minute (or rather rescheduled to
"just Quizzo").  We've been talking about trying a new format - four
15 minute presentations back-to-back.  My memory is getting fuzzy here,
but I think we left that idea with three people volunteering to speak, mostly
on "something Perlish".

On that note, I've been talking to Mike Ryan (a local Python user who spoke
about Python in March or so) about doing a "Python vs. Perl" debate.  He's
interested in the 4x15 minute format, alternating python and perl discussion.
He's available either this month or next, and we'd need to field someone
to discuss/defend Perl.  [Volunteers welcome.] (*)

So, either of these two topic ideas are possible for this month's tech
meeting.  Discussion welcome and encouraged.

-- Adam

(*) The idea for this discussion came out of the perennial perl vs. python
    war on the PLUG list.