Walt Mankowski on Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:20:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Reading group for PATH

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 06:37:54PM -0400, mjd-perl-pm@plover.com wrote:

> > Is it the kind of thing beginners as well as perl experts can appreciate?
>
> I'm not sure.  I'm aiming the book at intermediate-to-expert Perl
> programmers.  I think you'll have trouble following the first coupld
> of chapters if you don't know about references, and the rest of the
> book if you don't know about module and objects.  You also may not
> appreciate the point of view unless you have some experience in
> writing code that other programmers use in their own programs.
>
> Maybe some of the folks on the list who have already looked at the
> sample chapters would be able to say somthing more concrete.

I admitedly only skimmed the first two chapters very briefly, but it
seems fairly similar to what MIT makes their freshman computer science
majors learn (in LISP) in the "Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs".

So if you think you're as smart as them...  :-)