mjd-perl-pm on Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:18:53 -0400 (EDT)

Re: question :)

> Anyone here know of a good way to compress and decompress a
> string?  I'm actually trying to shrink down the length....

Compress:Zlib will do that, but maybe that's not easy enough to suit you?

Can you be more specific?  What is in the string?  How much do you
need to compress it, and what for?

For example, strings of numerals can be compressed by packing the
numbers into base 256.  Strings of capital letters can be compressed
by using a 5-bit code for each letter.  All sorts of special
techniques are available, depending on what you are trying to do.