Alex Barylo on Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:19:29 -0500 (EST)

Passowrds, encryption, PGP, etc

Hi,

We have ~650 clients that dial in to our FTP box and pick
up some sensitive stuff we prepare for them.

Problem 1: I need to store their dial-in passwords.
Please don't flame me for it - it wasn't my decision.
These passwords are stored on Unix box in Informix DB so
it's not that easy to get to them. Anyway, I don't like
the idea of storing unencrypted passwords. That's why I
need an encryption/decryption algorithm, not too
complicated because my boss may want to access the
passwords from ms access/vb.

Problem 2: He also wants files our clients are
downloading to be encrypted with PGP. So far so good. But
our users, mmmm.... not very computer literate so I'm
gonna be the one creating 650 public keys for them. The
worst part that creating a key is interactive, not batch,
process. I hope expect will let me make it a batch one...

I played with PGP last time 4 years ago so I may be
missing something.

Does anyone have (better) ideas? May be zip with 100
chars password will do?

Thank you,

Alex.

=====
Before the accident, I could not even spell UNIX