David Steuber on Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:15:32 -0500 (EST)

Re: Passowrds, encryption, PGP, etc

Alex Barylo writes:

' > 'one-way hash' algorithm, which scrambles the password
'
' I know, I know... That's the way I'd love it to be set
' up. But I'm *REQURIED* to store them :(

Since you have a boneheaded requirement, might I suggest the famous
XOR algorithm?

On a serious side, RSA might be your best bet.  The Microsoft
cryptographic services provide RSA (the weak version on international
versions of Windows).  So you could use RSA from both perl and
VeryBadScript.

I don't recall the details of key generation, but it seems the only
obstacle is the pass phrase requirement.  How about using the password
as the pass phrase? ;-)

I don't envy you.

--
David Steuber
302 E. Marshall Street #612

http://www.david-steuber.com/
Telco://610.436.1677
ICQ# 91465842  (Using Micq 0.4.6 under Linux)