Sean O'Leary on Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:55:16 -0500 (EST)

Re: komodo, opinions?

At 12:30 PM 01/05/2001, Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) wrote:

The komodo windows beta is out. I was experimenting with it looks promising.
It also seems *very* sluggish on my Pentium II 300.

Has anyone else gotten a chance to evaluate komodo? On Linux it is still tech
preview 3 which seemed unusable to me.

I've used a very little bit on WinNT 4.0 (SP6) using ActivePerl 5.6.0 - Build 623. It's a bit slow at times, and kinda buggy (sometimes it would coredump on what I would think would be pretty simple operations, like running to a breakpoint and stuff.) You might want to make sure you are running the latest build of ActivePython, as I think much of the interface stuff is done there.

It's still beta, so I wouldn't expect great things from it yet. However, for most of the scripts that I write (usually simple ones), I have found it to be sufficiently capable. The thing I am waiting for, however, is the regular expression debugger. That's going to provide some neat windows into how the regex engine works and be a really valuable tool for most of us. At least those of us still trying to learn the full depth and breadth of regexes.

Oh, the other cool thing about Komodo, that hasn't been implemented yet, will be the JavaScript debugging. I really hate having to refine stuff inside of Internet Explorer.

Thank you for your time,

Sean.

soleary@erols.com                  http://needles.aschweb.com/
"Sometimes, a little brain damage helps." - George Carlin