Bill Jonas on Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:15:19 -0500

Re: Beginner's problem, maybe with grep()

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 08:33:24PM -0500, Susie J wrote:
> No, I didn't. However, doesn't seem to be up to date. Google is listed as
> pre-1.0, and is showing up as 1.2 in my logs.

Ah.  Serves me right for not looking at it more closely...

> I _knew_ that code section needed a disclaimer :). Yes, yes, yes, and not
> all crawlers look at robots.txt (like the email harvesters). In general,
> crawlers don't include a referrer, instead issuing a direct request. For
> you, the check has expanded to be (on the referrers list) and (direct
> request).

It's good to hear that you came up with a better solution, though.  Hashes
that are used non-obviously can be just plain *neat*.  (See the Cookbook
about finding the union and intersection of two or more arrays, for
example.)

--
Bill Jonas                | "In contrast to the What You See Is What You
bill@billjonas.com        |  Get (WYSIWYG) philosophy, UNIX is the You