Kevin Falcone on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:44:03 -0500

Re: Gtk/Perl question

  >> Walt Mankowski wrote:
  >> 1.  Use a smaller font.

  DT> Good idea.  Does anybody know the function to do this?

In C it goes like this

   GtkStyle        *style;
   GdkFont         *font;
   GtkWidget       *widget

   /* create widget */
   font = gdk_font_load("font-name-you-got-from-xfontsel");

   style = gtk_style_copy(gtk_widget_get_style(widget));
   style->font[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] = font;
   gtk_widget_set_style(widget,style);

I've never used the perl Gtk bindings, but I assume that these are
available to you.

  DT> I may also put the most-recently-used at the top, like a font
  DT> thingy in Word.  Is there a widget that acts at all like that
  DT> widget?  It's like a combo box, but it has different semantics.

I don't think that there is anything which does this automagically.  I
hacked a combobox to do it using a combobox, but it is a hack and I'm
sure that it can be done better.

  DT> The documentation for OptionMenu says it can't have any
  DT> sub-menus, which means this probably won't work.  It seems
  DT> possible that I could place a MenuItem like any other widget
  DT> (and ditch OptionMenu entirely).  I will try this when I get
  DT> home.

Would just having a normal menu with callbacks work for you? I know
that the itemfactory makes creating something like this quite easy,
but it isn't terribly perlish, and once again, I don't know if it is
available in the binding.

-kevin

--
The problem with quantum mechanics is that the more precisely they know
when your car will be fixed, the less certain they are of how much it