Dave Turner on Wed, 5 Sep 2001 16:30:44 -0400

Re: Next Tech Meeting

Walt wrote:
---
If we keep to our old schedule, we're due for a tech meeting on
Monday, the 10th.  At dinner last week we talked about doing some
short talks this time to get some more people involved.  Dave
volunteered to do a talk on something Java-related.  (Sorry, I forget
the exact topic.)  I'll do a talk on how Memoize.pm made my program
run an order of magnitude *slower*.
---

I'll be talking about my work on Art Of Illusion, and which parts Java made
un-necessarilly hard and which parts it made easy.  I'll be thinking about how
we can bring the benefits of Java to Perl.  And maybe about how we can bring
the benefits of Perl to Java.

So, an outline:
I. The AoI texturing system
Modules, etc
ExprModule

II. The AoI color chooser
The joy of simplicity.
API cruft:
	Adjustable
	AWTEventMulticaster

III.
What was easy vs. what was hard.
What could we do to improve the hard stuff (except we can't improve Java).
How we can get Perl

I can pick just one of (I, II) if we need more time.

--
-[Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859]