mjd-perl-pm on Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:29:03 -0400

Upcoming Technical and Social Schedule

29 October 2001: Dieter Pearcey will talk about POE.  (See below.)
The talk will be followed by dinner.  The location will probably be
ISI, at 3501 Market Street.

12 November 2001:  Dinner meeting (location to be determined)

26 November 2001: Dave Turner will give a talk on TRIZ.  The talk will
probably be followed by dinner.  We'll pin down the location later on.

10 December 2001:  Dinner meeting (location to be determined)

24 December 2001:  No meeting.

7 January 2001: Peter Bachman will talk about IP filters.

POE

    POE is a cooperative task scheduler at its heart. Tasks are
    bundles of event handlers that look suspiciously like state
    machines. Several of these carefully constructed state machines
    can all be running at once.

    ** Event Loop **

    POE's task scheduler is basically an event loop. Event loops
    usually don't work well with others, but POE's is designed to play
    nicely with several. POE programs can quite happily run with the
    Event module, Gtk, or Tk.

    POE's methods are designed from the user's standpoint. More people
    will be using them than writing them, so they should be a lot
    easier to use than implement. This should reduce the authors'
    workload over time, since they'll be using POE more than writing
    it.

    ** I/O Abstraction **

    POE includes a high level library that takes care of event driven
    I/O. Its classes are built atop POE's public functions, so they're
    portable across every event loop POE supports.

    POE isn't limited to its own I/O abstraction, and new ones will
    work alongside existing ones.

POE won the 'Best New Module' award at the 2000 Perl Conference.

For more information, visit http://poe.perl.org/ .

TRIZ

According to the web site:

      TRIZ is an algorithmic approach for solving technical and
      technological problems. By utilizing this methodology engineers,
      planners and executive managers will be able to:

      * Visualize technical systems from new perspectives.

      * Reveal all possible solution concepts.

      * Seek IDEAL solutions.

      * Develop superior products by overcoming system contradictions.

      * Predict future product and technology evolution

      * Establish an ABSOLUTE competitive advantage.

Well, I'm skeptical.  But Dave's got a good bullshitmeter, so if he
syas there's something to it, I believe him.  I'm looking forward to
the talk.  For more information, visit http://www.triz.org/ .