Peter Bachman on Mon, 12 Nov 2001 04:22:27 -0500

Re: new member plans to come Monday

"David H. Adler" wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:26:51PM -0500, mjd-perl-pm@plover.com wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone have any idea how absolutely horribly Amtrak's running nowadays?
> > > Or are we better off going NJTransit?
> >
> > When the trains are all running on schedule, NJT takes about one hour
> > longer than Amtrak, supposing that you get the best possible
> > connection in Trenton.  Even when Amtrak is behind schedule, it
> > usually still beats the NJT.
>
> Well, it sounds like Amtrak is the better bet.
>
> The real reason I was thinking of the earlier train was that it might
> not be as crowded, but I guess a 5:09 probably isn't one rush hour
> people would be making anyway.
>
> dha
> --
> David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
> The Teletubbies are coming to America.
> They must be stopped!
> **Majordomo list services provided by PANIX <URL:http://www.panix.com>**

Definitely Amtrak, NJT would be a very slow ride. Even the NJT monthly riders
are allowed to take the non-reserved Amtrak trains.... The 5:09 used to be
pretty popular. Most Philly people take the Boston to
Washington trains since they don't stop at so many places in NJ.

On a Monday you should not have much problem.  Of course the faster, (and thus

more expensive trains) have reserved seats, whereas the other trains do not,
except "Business Class".

Thus crowding is not an issue, (unless one is attempting to optimize for price
or day), since they only sell as many tickets as there are seats on the
reserved trains. As far as the actual on-time performance of Amtrak your
mileage may vary considerably as equipment breakdowns are not unusual. Note
that if they are late (which they define as more than 20 minutes) they will
give you a coupon for later travel. In general if you have to be there on
time, the higher end trains tend to be given priority on the rails, but you
could end up paying twice as much.

-pb
begin:vcard
n:Bachman;Peter