Meng Weng Wong on Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:30:18 -0500

short contract available in bryn mawr.

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed the meteor shower last night.
if you saw more than 2 or 3 a minute i'd like to know when
and where you were.

I have a very short consulting subcontract available.  It
was offered to me but I'd rather decline it in favour of
someone with more free time.  Read on if you're free to go
visit the client on Monday (20011119) morning in Bryn Mawr.
(You can take the R5.)

For work like this I would usually charge about $150/hour
with a minimum of 10 hours.  It's open to anyone who wants
it; if you take it, i would appreciate a small referral fee.

Best-case scenario: the job might be as simple as your basic
mailto.cgi with a bit of DBD::ODBC thrown in talking to
Access.

If you already know DBI and CGI, then you'll recognize that
the job is not especially interesting in itself; to spice it
up I would recommend picking a softare development
methodology (eg extreme or agile) and following it to the
letter, as a learning exercise.  Interesting questions
include: how early in the development process am I able to
provide reliable estimates of time and cost to the client?
How well can my development process handle unexpected
requirements shift?  Would the development of a
configuration "little language" to solve the problem be
worthwhile?  How maintainable is the code after completion
by a third party?  After project completion, look back: how
accurate were my estimates?

Here's the preliminary job spec.  Still lots of unknown
variables.  Looks like you'll have to develop under windows
but maybe that can be gotten around.

If you don't know DBI and CGI, but really want the job, I
can provide mentoring and code review.